Law

Civil Law vs. Criminal Law Civil Law vs. Criminal Law Civil Law vs. Criminal Law Civil Law vs. Criminal Law

Wondering about the differences between civil law and criminal law? Here, we take a look at the origins of each field and answer some...

The Top 8 Defenses of the Criminal Defendant The Top 8 Defenses of the Criminal Defendant The Top 8 Defenses of the Criminal Defendant The Top 8 Defenses of the Criminal Defendant

Been charged with a crime and due to be tried in court? From denial to disorder to duress, there's a variety of common defenses available...

What Benefits Are Veterans Legally Entitled To? What Benefits Are Veterans Legally Entitled To? What Benefits Are Veterans Legally Entitled To? What Benefits Are Veterans Legally Entitled To?

Depending on how they were discharged, veterans who served in the U.S. military could be eligible for many benefits ranging from VA home...

What Is the Legal Extent of Police Power in America? What Is the Legal Extent of Police Power in America? What Is the Legal Extent of Police Power in America? What Is the Legal Extent of Police Power in America?

While police department and members of law enforcement have police powers in America, these powers aren't unlimited. Find out more about...

The Most Common Complaint in Overtime Lawsuits is Hard to Stomach The Most Common Complaint in Overtime Lawsuits is Hard to Stomach The Most Common Complaint in Overtime Lawsuits is Hard to Stomach The Most Common Complaint in Overtime Lawsuits is Hard to Stomach

There are actually minimal national labor laws in the United States, even though the opposite is often assumed. So what's the most common...

What Are My Legal Rights After a Dog Bite? What Are My Legal Rights After a Dog Bite? What Are My Legal Rights After a Dog Bite? What Are My Legal Rights After a Dog Bite?

Being bitten by a dog can be a miserable experience, but you can take action against a negligent owner. This article looks at the dog bite...

What Are My Privacy Rights in the Digital Age? What Are My Privacy Rights in the Digital Age? What Are My Privacy Rights in the Digital Age? What Are My Privacy Rights in the Digital Age?

Wondering about your privacy rights in the Digital Age? Here's an overview of the “right to privacy” for users of the internet and, more...

Crimes at Sea: 7 Ways to Break Maritime Law Crimes at Sea: 7 Ways to Break Maritime Law Crimes at Sea: 7 Ways to Break Maritime Law Crimes at Sea: 7 Ways to Break Maritime Law

Avoid committing a crime on the high seas; learn about the 7 ways in which you can break maritime law.

The Top 10 Most Pivotal Legal Cases in U.S. History (So Far) The Top 10 Most Pivotal Legal Cases in U.S. History (So Far) The Top 10 Most Pivotal Legal Cases in U.S. History (So Far) The Top 10 Most Pivotal Legal Cases in U.S. History (So Far)

Want to learn about the cases that changed the landscape of American law? These 10 Supreme Court rulings had a major impact on U.S. legal...

The A to Z of Jurisdictions You Need to Know About The A to Z of Jurisdictions You Need to Know About The A to Z of Jurisdictions You Need to Know About The A to Z of Jurisdictions You Need to Know About

Wondering what 'jurisdiction' is and how it affects courts & cases? Learn about the different types of jurisdictions here.

5 Kinds of Sex Crimes to Be Aware Of 5 Kinds of Sex Crimes to Be Aware Of 5 Kinds of Sex Crimes to Be Aware Of 5 Kinds of Sex Crimes to Be Aware Of

Sex crimes can vary widely in nature and in severity, and have a major impact on the lives of both the victim and perpetrator. From...

INFOGRAPHIC:  The 13 Worst States to Be a Burglar INFOGRAPHIC:  The 13 Worst States to Be a Burglar INFOGRAPHIC:  The 13 Worst States to Be a Burglar INFOGRAPHIC:  The 13 Worst States to Be a Burglar

Being caught and found guilty for burglary can earn you anything from a slap on the wrist to a lifetime in prison! In this infographic,...

Top Environmental Law Feeds to Follow on Twitter Top Environmental Law Feeds to Follow on Twitter Top Environmental Law Feeds to Follow on Twitter Top Environmental Law Feeds to Follow on Twitter

Want to keep informed and up to date about policies & regulations related to natural resources? To help you get the information that you...

5 Types of Employment Discrimination You Should Know 5 Types of Employment Discrimination You Should Know 5 Types of Employment Discrimination You Should Know 5 Types of Employment Discrimination You Should Know

Have you faced discrimination in the workplace because of your gender, race, religion or some other reason? Well, there are...

The 10 Greatest Novels About the Law The 10 Greatest Novels About the Law The 10 Greatest Novels About the Law The 10 Greatest Novels About the Law

From tales of vigilantism and courtroom dramas to narratives of oppressive legal systems, we take a look at some timeless law-inspired...

Texas Labor Laws: Minimum Wage & Overtime Pay Texas Labor Laws: Minimum Wage & Overtime Pay Texas Labor Laws: Minimum Wage & Overtime Pay Texas Labor Laws: Minimum Wage & Overtime Pay

Do you work in Texas? Depending on your occupation / employment contract, you could be either eligible for or exempt from the minimum wage...

Wage Laws: Know Your Rights as a Restaurant Server Wage Laws: Know Your Rights as a Restaurant Server Wage Laws: Know Your Rights as a Restaurant Server Wage Laws: Know Your Rights as a Restaurant Server

The restaurant business is one of the most common violators of wage laws. If you work at one, it's important to understand your rights...

Everything You Need to Know About Evidence Everything You Need to Know About Evidence Everything You Need to Know About Evidence Everything You Need to Know About Evidence

Many different kinds of evidence can be used in a court case. However, they have to adhere to certain standards in order to be admissible....

6 Things Every Criminal Defendant Should Receive 6 Things Every Criminal Defendant Should Receive 6 Things Every Criminal Defendant Should Receive 6 Things Every Criminal Defendant Should Receive

Once charged with a crime, a person becomes a criminal defendant and the state has to prove its case against the suspect. Every criminal...