Courts

Your Quick Guide to Small Claims Court Your Quick Guide to Small Claims Court Your Quick Guide to Small Claims Court Your Quick Guide to Small Claims Court

Facing small claims court? We've compiled a short but helpful post on small claims, how they work, how to file them and what to expect....

7 Things to Avoid if You Don't Want to Be Held in Contempt of Court 7 Things to Avoid if You Don't Want to Be Held in Contempt of Court 7 Things to Avoid if You Don't Want to Be Held in Contempt of Court 7 Things to Avoid if You Don't Want to Be Held in Contempt of Court

Being held in contempt of court has consequences ranging from fines to jail time. If you want to avoid it, here's what not to do.

Jury Duty: What to Expect and How to Prepare Jury Duty: What to Expect and How to Prepare Jury Duty: What to Expect and How to Prepare Jury Duty: What to Expect and How to Prepare

Have you been called for jury duty? From receiving your summons to delivering a verdict, we explain the process in 4 stages. Learn about it...

An Overview of Pro Se Legal Representation in the United States An Overview of Pro Se Legal Representation in the United States An Overview of Pro Se Legal Representation in the United States An Overview of Pro Se Legal Representation in the United States

'He who represents himself has a fool for a client,' said Abraham Lincoln. However, pro se legal representation is becoming more and more...

How to Beat a Traffic Ticket in New Jersey How to Beat a Traffic Ticket in New Jersey How to Beat a Traffic Ticket in New Jersey How to Beat a Traffic Ticket in New Jersey

Got a traffic citation in the Garden State? You have two options: Pay the ticket or go to court. A criminal defense lawyer explains what to...

Disbarment: How Attorneys End Up on the Wrong Side of the Law Disbarment: How Attorneys End Up on the Wrong Side of the Law Disbarment: How Attorneys End Up on the Wrong Side of the Law Disbarment: How Attorneys End Up on the Wrong Side of the Law

Lawyers are considered the guardians of justice, but sometimes, they're the ones who break the law. Find out how an attorney can lose their...

The A to Z of Jurisdictions You Need to Know About The A to Z of Jurisdictions You Need to Know About The A to Z of Jurisdictions You Need to Know About The A to Z of Jurisdictions You Need to Know About

Wondering what 'jurisdiction' is and how it affects courts & cases? Learn about the different types of jurisdictions here.

5 Things to Know About Representing Yourself in Court 5 Things to Know About Representing Yourself in Court 5 Things to Know About Representing Yourself in Court 5 Things to Know About Representing Yourself in Court

Although it's possible to represent yourself in court, it's not always advisable to do so. If you're determined to appear pro se, there are...

Everything You Need to Know About Evidence Everything You Need to Know About Evidence Everything You Need to Know About Evidence Everything You Need to Know About Evidence

Many different kinds of evidence can be used in a court case. However, they have to adhere to certain standards in order to be admissible....

10 Different Kinds of Judges and What They Do 10 Different Kinds of Judges and What They Do 10 Different Kinds of Judges and What They Do 10 Different Kinds of Judges and What They Do

Certain kinds of judges have very specific responsibilities and job descriptions, so whether you're the plaintiff or defendant in a case,...

How to Avoid a DUI Conviction How to Avoid a DUI Conviction How to Avoid a DUI Conviction How to Avoid a DUI Conviction

If you're caught in the act of driving under the influence, there's a good chance that you could get convicted for it. However, there are...

Help! I Think I Need to Sue My Insurer! Help! I Think I Need to Sue My Insurer! Help! I Think I Need to Sue My Insurer! Help! I Think I Need to Sue My Insurer!

Has your insurance claim been unsuccessful? You might have cause of action for a lawsuit. This article discusses 9 key points to consider...

A Look at Pardons in the Legal System A Look at Pardons in the Legal System A Look at Pardons in the Legal System A Look at Pardons in the Legal System

The vast majority of criminals are never pardoned. Although rare, however, pardons do still happen on occasion—but not without their fair...

How to Prepare for Family Court How to Prepare for Family Court How to Prepare for Family Court How to Prepare for Family Court

Is your case going to family court? Whether the issue is divorce, custody, domestic abuse or child support, the key to a successful outcome...

Do You Need a Criminal Defense Lawyer? Do You Need a Criminal Defense Lawyer? Do You Need a Criminal Defense Lawyer? Do You Need a Criminal Defense Lawyer?

If you've been charged with a crime, you may be scared and not sure what to do next. You might even be tempted to represent yourself in...

The 10 Most Notorious Wrongful Convictions (and Why They Happened) The 10 Most Notorious Wrongful Convictions (and Why They Happened) The 10 Most Notorious Wrongful Convictions (and Why They Happened) The 10 Most Notorious Wrongful Convictions (and Why They Happened)

A wrongful conviction is one of the worst things that could happen to a person. Justipedia takes a look at the most notorious of such cases...

4 Types of Warrants to Know 4 Types of Warrants to Know 4 Types of Warrants to Know 4 Types of Warrants to Know

A warrant is a court order that gives permission and instructions to law enforcement officers to perform certain actions. There are...

INFOGRAPHIC: Fascinating Facts about Class Action Lawsuits INFOGRAPHIC: Fascinating Facts about Class Action Lawsuits INFOGRAPHIC: Fascinating Facts about Class Action Lawsuits INFOGRAPHIC: Fascinating Facts about Class Action Lawsuits

Did you know that collective lawsuits originated in the USA and continue to be a mainly U.S. phenomenon? Find out more in this inforgraphic...

9 Common Questions About Indictments 9 Common Questions About Indictments 9 Common Questions About Indictments 9 Common Questions About Indictments

Indictments usually lead to full criminal trials, which can lead to severe legal punishments. So, many people often have questions about...